Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Batch #44

Last winter I was fortunate to travel with my mom to Saba.  For those of you who don't know what Saba is (as I expect most of you do not) Saba is a small 5 square mile volcanic island in the Netherland Antilles. Even though it is such a small island, it is both rich in beauty and in culture.  One of the things that the island is known for is its Saba Spice, a rum drink brewed with a combination of spices that is delicious but quite potent.  After my first sip of it I was completely hooked.  




So after waiting for months wishing that I could have some of this magic potion of my own, I couldn't be more pleasantly surprised when I received an email containing a recipe for Saba Spice.  It is named "Batch #44" because it took the creator, Raymond S. Simmons II, 43 tries before he finally got it right.  Today I spent a good part of the afternoon brewing a bottle of the concoction for myself.  I will not post the exact portions of the ingredients as to maintain the secrecy of the recipe. 



 The ingredients: light brown sugar, honey, orange peel, fennel, cinammon, whole cloves, vanilla extract, and any decent quality dark rum. 


Step 1: Pour honey into water

Step 2: Add sugar to honey and stir until dissolved

Step 3: Roast spices until fragrant

Step 4: Add spices to water and stir until the mixture becomes syrupy.  

Step 5: Add rum and vanilla to cooled mixture.

Step 6: Distribute evenly amongst mason jars. 


Step 7: Cover and set aside.

Now that all that is complete all I have to do is wait 3 weeks for the spices to infuse with the rum before it can be bottled.  I will report back later with the final results!!!  =)

1 comment:

  1. In 1984 I met my wife on a Caribbean cruise that stopped at Saba for a day. We met a lady, Adel Hassell, who was selling her Saba Spice. We bought a bottle and fell in love. We took our bottle of Saba Spice home, put it in the freezer, and every year on our anniversary we would take it out and pour each a small sample. We would take tiny sips to make it last as long as possible. But it is long gone now. We probably will never get back to Saba as we will be on retirement income this year. I saw your post on batch #44 Saba Spice recipe recreation. I was wondering how that turned out. I would love to make my wife and I a batch to last us like that one and only bottle did. If it turned out well, could you possibly share it. If so please let me know at ratzmeister@gmail.com Thanks ever so much. It would mean so much for us to be able to recall the flavor and memories of that cruise when we first met. Sincerely, Jim

    ReplyDelete